A Guide to Storing and Stacking Items in Self Storage for the Very First Time: What You Need to Know
Tips and Tricks for Packing, Managing, and Stacking Your Items in a Self Storage Unit
People have trouble deciding how to store their items, leading to a messy house and decreasing the aesthetic appeal of their home.
It's time to end the mess of your home and store items in a more efficient way. By following these simple guidelines, you'll have a well-organized house with easy access to anything you need.
Read our Complete Guide to Storing Items for Beginners today so you can find out how to store items and stack them for optimal organization!
What You Need to Know about Self Storage Units
Self storage units are a great solution for people who need to store their personal belongings. They are also a great option for people who want to declutter their homes and avoid the hassle of going through all their belongings and deciding what to keep and what to throw away.
Self storage facilities have made it easier for people by providing them with affordable, accessible and secure solutions. Arco’s Self Storage has a wide array of options in our facilities in South San Francisco, Stockton, Pioneer, Manteca, Delhi, San Bruno, Napa, and South Lake Tahoe.
Self Storage Unit Size Breakdown
The storage unit size you choose will depend on what you need to store and how much space you have to do so. Do you want to hold a small treasure chest of furniture or boxes of clothes? Are you storing your entire household? It's important to consider the square footage of your home and the measurements of the items you wish to store before making a decision.
Below are the different sizes of self storage units available at Arco’s Self Storage!
1. 5×5 self storage units offer a convenient solution for storing small items. These units are perfect for storing seasonal goods, bicycles, winter clothing, or any other personal items that do not require a lot of space. What is a 5×10 self storage unit?
2. 5×10 self storage unit is a convenient and cost-effective way to store your belongings. They are perfect for those on the move and can be rented either short or long-term. The best thing about these units is they don't take up unnecessary space in your home.
3. An 8×10 self storage unit is the perfect size to store a car. These units are very popular with people who live in a city and have limited space in their homes.
4. A 10×10 self storage unit is the perfect size for those who are looking for small, affordable space with easy accessibility. You can pack your belongings into one of these units and our staff will take care of the rest. We offer safe and secure premises as well as great customer service and competitive prices.
5. 10×15 self storage units are the perfect solution for those who need to store bigger items in one location. If you want to store additional items that require more space – such as bulky furniture and appliances, then a 10x20 self storage unit is the best way to go.
6. When you need more space to store your car, boat, or RV, then vehicle storage can be the perfect solution. Arco’s Storage facilities are secure and come in a variety of sizes that fit your needs.
7. Temperature Controlled Storage is a type of storage that maintains a constant temperature. This service can benefit any business that needs to store delicate items such as food, pharmaceuticals, wine, or electronics.
8. Covered and Uncovered parking. Parking spaces are often rented out in different tiers of size. Lowest-priced parking spaces are typically designated for smaller cars like compacts and hatchbacks...
Tips and Tricks for Packing, Managing, and Stacking Your Items In A Self Storage Unit
Before you start packing your stuff, it is important to know what items can and cannot be stored in a self storage unit.
Some items are not permitted at all, such as hazardous materials, explosives, and weapons.
Some other items are only allowed if they are sealed in a container. For example, paint must be sealed in a plastic or metal container with a lid before it can be stored in the self storage unit.
Other helpful hints…
- Before disposing of anything, please list everything you're storing, then take photos and make an estimate of each item's dollar value (using online lists or your own experience).
- How many times do you plan to access your belongings? This will play a role in how you pack and the items you store close to the front.
- If you need to get to your items regularly, we recommend putting them on shelves where they're easy to find.
- As much as possible, choose to use boxes when packing. With our shipping boxes, you can stack many tightly together and be confident that they will protect your items from dirt. The sealing process also helps to prevent dust infiltration.
- Labelling boxes will help you identify what is inside of each one, which can be useful if you stack them up in your unit without knowing which one is on top. You can label all sides or just some sides of the box.
- Do consider sealing your boxes with packing tape to keep the dust out.
- Mark any boxes that contain delicate items as "FRAGILE" so that they're easily identifiable
- Put things into your boxes as tightly as possible- this way they won't move around in transit. Full boxes are easier to stack vertically in your unit.
- It's a good idea to stack your storage unit with the heaviest items at the bottom.
- Store all bolts, nuts and screws to any dismantled items in a zip-lock glad bag and tape it to the item you have removed them from
- Consider wedging up the doors of appliances so that they can’t shut. This will help prevent the build-up of odor or mildew.
How to Choose the Best Shelving System for Your Self Storage Unit
Choosing the right shelving system for your self storage unit can be tricky. The best way to do it is to take into account the space you have, what you need to store, and how often you will be accessing your items.
There are many different types of shelving systems available on the market today. They range from simple wire shelving and shelving units with a single shelf to more complex shelving systems with multiple shelves, and multiple tiers.
Shelving systems can be used for practical purposes such as storing items and for decorative purposes. Shelving units come in a variety of shapes and sizes, including rectangles, squares, and circles. They are typically made of wood or plastic but may also include metal components.
For more information on our self storage services, feel free to get in touch with your local Arco’s Self Storage Facility Manager today!